Wednesday, 3 August 2011

My nutrition

Hey guys! This is the diet plan I will utilise to lose some fat/retain muscle. I am sure I will be making constant changes to the macronutrient totals as this is just the rough draft. The total calories is ~2900 which to me, seems like quite a lot for a 90kg guy like myself, but we shall see how I go with it.

" MARK! Why do you have so much whey protein supplement!? "
- Ideally I would like to eat more natural sources of protein in my diet, however, due to work and time restraints I have resorted to using whey protein supplement to ramp up my protein intake. (plus it's way cheaper than buying a sh*t load of fresh meat!)

" Why do you have 6 meals a day? "
- Simple! I do not like the feeling of being hungry! I like the fact the my digestive system constantly processes the food I ingest. Although, some people eat reguarly because there is a belief that you begin to enter "starvation mode" (= muscle loss + fat storage) within 2-3 hours of your last meal.

" What is up with the fish oil ? "
- I am aiming to keep my fat intake between 50-100g. Since there is limited fat in the other foods that I am eating, I need to try and supplement my fat intake. Also, I heard fish oil is good for memory?

" What whey protein supplement are you currently taking? "
- Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein (Gold standard). Full information on what supplements I am taking can be found at http://www.wongprogress.com/supplement.shtml. Feel free to have a browse around the website :)

Total calories: ~2900
Macronutrients 240/300/80 (Protein/Carbohydrate/Fats)
Water intake: 4L
==========================

Standard dinner

Meal 1:
  • Oats 1 1/2 cup
  • Whole egg x 1
  • Whey protein 35g
  • Fish oil x 2g
Meal 2:
  • Sweet potato 300g
  • Whole egg x 1
  • Whey protein 35g
  • Fish oil x 2g
Meal 3:
  • Brown rice 150g
  • Chicken breast 200g
  • Fish oil x 2g
  • Vegetables
Meal 4:
  • Oats 1 1/2 cup
  • Whole egg x 1
  • Whey protein 35g
  • Fish oil x 2g
Meal 5: (post workout)
  • Whey protein 40g
  • Apple
  • Banana
Meal 6:
  • Chicken breast 200g
  • Fish oil x 2g
  • Vegetables
Favourite cheat meal of the week:
Japanese Bento Box

I like to have one cheat meal a week (usually on the weekend) to give me a rest from the boring and bland diet. Gotta love the bento box!

4 comments:

  1. hey man really nice diet you have going on here, but what would you suggest to someone who is trying to bulk? i have really fast metabolism im 5'8 about 155lbs and i've been workin out for 10months now but i really wanna put on more weight and more gains in the gym, suggestions on proper nutrition and dieting please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amos. Do you know your macronutrient break down? Or caloric maintenance level?

    In my opinion, I think you should have roughly 150-180g of protein a day. Protein sources: Chicken, beef, eggs, protein supplement, nuts etc. Basically any clean meats will be an excellent source of protein. Meats usually consists of approx 20-25% protein.

    For your carbohydrate intake, try to get atleast 300g+ per day. Good sources of carbs are Oats, Brown Rice, Sweet potato. However, since you have a high metabolism, you can probably get away with other carbs like white rice, breads and white potato etc.

    For your fat intake, you generally want them to take up approx 20% of your total calories in per day. (+ generally no more than 100grams). Good sources of fat are olive oil, almonds, walnuts, peanut butter (natural).

    Of course these numbers are just ROUGH starting points. You will probably have to play around with the amounts until it suits you individually.

    I hope this helps man! I hope the numbers and calculations don't get too confusing. But I think when you are first getting to know how your body reacts to certain amount of calories, it's good to be specific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not 100% sure of my macronutrient break down but I definitely limit my fats and try to keep my carbs high with a good amount of protein. I think my caloric maintenance is about 2700-2800cals depending on how much exercise I do that day. I've been trying to eat whole wheat, whole grains, darker fruits & vegetables and just cleaner altogether but I notice that I end up pooping 2-3x a day lol. Idk if thats a good thing or not but my body generally has trouble putting on weight. Your advice is actually really detailed & much appreciated. Other than foods are there any supplements or certain ways to prepare meals? Maybe when to eat or how to eat? lol im just trying to get smarter with my diet, thanks a lot tho really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are having difficulties puting on weight, try upping your carbohydrates/fats abit more. You probably just have a high metabolism.

    Also make sure you are training weights with intensity. Try to stick to the 6-10 rep range. You should be pretty much fatigued on the last 1-2 reps which is where a spotter is handy. Make sure you hit the large compound multi joint, multi muscle exercises. Don't focus on isolation exercises like bicep curls, ab workouts, knee extensions etc. Though these all play their rolls in developing your body, if you want to put on considerable mass, you need to rock out the bench press, chins up, squats, shoulder presses and dead lifts.

    Are you doing any cardio? Cardio is always a good thing to do, but if done excessively, it can hinder your growth.

    In terms of WHEN to eat, I personally like to eat every 2-3 hours as I don't like the feelings of getting hungry. I think it's a good practice to eat at the same time each day, just so that you grow into the habit of eating enough food.

    In terms of HOW to eat, just put it in the mouth lol. No secrets there my friend!

    There are some supplements out htere aka "Weight gainers" which basically a meal in a powder form. These are just over priced protein shakes with carbs and fats in it. What I usually do is just blend my protein powder + blended up oats + 1 spoon of olive oil ( or peanutbutter) + Milk/ water. JUst as effective, and much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete